Friday, November 14, 2008

FOREIGN TORSION

Winners of an annual New York Magazine contest were asked to take a well-known expression in a foreign language, change a single letter, and provide a definition for the new expression. Here are the winners:

RESPONDEZ S'IL VOUS PLAID
Honk if you're Scottish.

HARLEZ-VOUS FRANCAIS?
Can you drive a French motorcycle?

IDIOS AMIGOS
We're wild and crazy guys!

VENI, VIPI, VICI
I came, I'm a very important person, I conquered.

COGITO EGGO SUM
I think; therefore I am a waffle.

RIGOR MORRIS
The cat is dead.

QUE SERA SERF
Life is feudal.

LE ROI EST MORT. JIVE LE ROI
The king is dead. No kidding.

POSH MORTEM
Death styles of the rich and famous.

PRO BOZO PUBLICO
Support your local clown (or politician, your call)

MON AGE A TROIS
I am three years old.

FELIX NAVIDAD
Our cat has a boat.

HASTE CUISINE
Fast French food.

VENI, VISI, VICE
I came, I saw, I partied.

QUIP PRO QUO
A fast retort.

ALOHA OY
Love; greetings; farewell; from such a pain you should never know.

MAZEL TON
Tons of luck.

VISA LA FRANCE
Don't leave your chateau without it.

L'ETAT, C'EST MOO
I'm bossy around here.

CARNE DIEM
Seize the meat.

No comments: